Companies often schedule a telephone interview with potential candidates as a first step in the recruitment process. Often referred to as “phone screen” the purpose of the call is to see if you are a potential fit for the company. The recruiter will have seen your resume and perhaps researched you online. You can expect questions which might not automatically be included in a cover letter or resume such as salary requirements and your availability. The purpose of the phone screen is to qualify the candidate before progressing to the face to face interview.
- Be prepared, set aside a quiet space to take the call and have your resume to hand for reference.
- Convey enthusiasm about the job and the organization, note that only 40% of the telephone interview is about your skills and qualities, the interviewer wants to establish if you are the right fit for the organization.
- Stand up and smile! Standing will naturally give you more energy and this will come across in your voice. Smiles can be heard over the phone and convey a positive and optimistic attitude and demeanor, exactly the traits a potential employer will be looking for.
- Research the company as you would for a face to face interview, look at their website, see if they are in the news, are there articles about the company hiring, have they won new business lately, look at the company profile on Linkedin.
- If you know in advance who will be interviewing you, research them also, is there a profile on the website, are they on Linkedin? If you have a picture of the person interviewing you it helps you to “engage” with them.
- Make a positive first impression, answer your phone professionally and be sure to have a professional message on your voicemail. Remember the interviewer will “hear” your personality over the phone. Make your voice is energetic and enthusiastic; this gives the interviewer a picture of what they “see” you to be.
- When you sign off the call be sure you are clear as to what the next steps of the process are.
Stateside Solutions provides Executive Search, US Market Entry Strategy and Support.
Executive Search: Stateside Solutions are the go to firm for executive search. We seek out the best talent for our clients and guide them through the hiring process from Interview to on-boarding.
Stateside Starter Program: The Stateside Starter Program offers piece of mind to companies entering the US, our checklist encompasses all the details needed to set up in the US and eliminates the hassle and worry. We direct clients to vetted professionals to ensure cost effective and efficient market entry.
Contract Sales & Marketing Support: Stateside Solutions provide Sales and Marketing support for companies entering the US. Our skilled team of contract sales personnel can represent your brand at meetings, tradeshows and events.
Valerie Hackett, Sales & Marketing Executive Stateside Solutions